Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carbatec Threadmaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnO View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbatec Threadmaster
    Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 12:10pm
Hi - I've just aquired this thread cutting jig and wondered if anyone can help me with information on its use. I have a basic understanding of how it works but I'm not sure how best to set it up. It appears to be complete except for a cutter. It was originally designed to fit the old Carbatec lathes from about 20 years back, but I have managed to get it to fit on my Axminster M330 by swapping the cam lock washer off the tailstock and it locks onto the bed firmly.
I  found an old advert  in the March 1993 edition of Practical Woodworking showing this and other 'Titan' branded products from a Company called M&M Tools. It claimed the ThreadMaster could cut threads up to 12" diameter. It came as standard with a thread pitch of 10 tpi but optional accesories were available to convert this to either 4 or 16 tpi.
Any information on where I might find a suitable cutter, instruction manual or just some guidance on how to use it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Turnpike View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnpike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:08pm
Hi John. Welcome to the forum!

I found this... go down the page a bit and there's an pdf you can download.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/thread-chasing-tool-78586/index2.html
I've also established that Carbatec  no longer make the cutters.Disapprove

Ray
I aim to live forever... and it feels like I'll need to to get my Workshop finished!
phannaby View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phannaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 1:01am
Hi John,
Wivamac do a similar threading jig for their lathes. The jigs and spare cutters are sold by the Toolpost so talk to Peter Helmsley and ask for a TPC3412, Cobalt HSS cutter for threading jig. The website has a price of £22.47 which I think excludes VAT
JohnO View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 6:46pm
many thanks for the replies and usefull info, Toolpost came up trumps, Peter Hemsley gave me loads of help, sorted out the cutter and also sent me some info that Bonnie Klein had produced on a home made jig that basically does the same thing. I reckon I should be able to now get this up and running.

p.s. first time I've dealt with Toolpost, definately won't be the last, what a great shop, Peter was more than helpful, brilliant bloke - thanks for the intro!
Terry Scott View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 6:45pm
I just picked up one of these units the same as you have  would you mind emailing me any info you have to timberly@xtra.co.nz  This one came with cutter brand new in box but no instructions  The lathe I brought on the weekend a Coranett record no1 I brought not for the Lathe but as I wanted the threader for a mate  unbelievable amount of gear But being a number one Morse taper makes all the bits of no use to me  It come with 4 craft supply chucks about 7 tool rests and engineers chuck and 40 chisels,more centers than you can shake a stick at
Wouldnt have a clue to what half the stuff with the chucks is as Ive never seen these brands before
  I thought I was a tool- aholic
Those who are organized are just to lazy to look for things www.timberly.co.nz
www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz
P Grogan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Grogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 9:26pm
Hi Terry, Have you thought about putting it altogether and seeing if you can make something with it (like a decent pen (in the shape of a canoe Wink))

PG
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Terry Scott View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 4:36am
Only p....-ies 
 make pens LOL
Those who are organized are just to lazy to look for things www.timberly.co.nz
www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz
Walter Hall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Terry Scott Terry Scott wrote:

Only p....-ies   make pens LOL

I have tried to train my cat but he has no real interest.

In fact he decided he would rather just have a kip.

Edited by Walter Hall - 01 Nov 2011 at 10:14am
A lathe is a tool not a constraint.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic